Family Support Partners
Helping Families SUCCEED at home
Family Support Partners are uniquely qualified to ADVOCATE, help NAVIGATE, EDUCATE, SUPPORT and EMPOWER families of children with mental or emotional challenges. They have navigated the mental health system for their own children. Parents who have someone by their side to help access services in the community, develop a self-care plan or attend support groups together end up stronger, more independent and self-reliant.
UMFS is the only provider in Central Virginia to offer Family Support Partners — parents who’ve experienced first-hand what it’s like to have a child struggling with mental, emotional or behavioral challenges. Family Support Partners provide emotional support, advocacy and education to help families:
- Access available services
- Express their voice and choice
- Identify strengths and prioritize needs
- Engage formal and natural supports
- Connect with community resources
You can pair Family Support Partner services with Intensive Care Coordination, or use FSP as a stand-alone support service. With our help, families have:
- Reduced inpatient psychiatric hospitalization
- Reduced ER visits for mental health reasons
- Fewer residential placements
- Fewer missed workdays for caregivers
- Become more self-sufficient
UMFS’ Support Partners receive training in High Fidelity Wraparound, an integrated planning model that helps families identify strengths, prioritize needs, and engage formal and natural supports.