Many WAYS to GET INVOLVED
UMFS has been able to achieve so much over the years due to the passionate help of our dedicated volunteers. They are all ages, races and walks of life. Coming alone or with a group, they are truly the champions of our team. We invite you to join us.
Volunteer Opportunities at UMFS
Many volunteer opportunities involve working directly with our kids, including tutoring, mentoring, organizing games and activities at one of our residential facilities, or providing child care for a foster family support group. These volunteers show the kids individually that there is someone who cares and wants to be a part of their lives.
Any adult who will spend time with a child and show they care provides one more step in the healing process. Whether you can offer one hour a week or just a few times a year, during the day, evening or weekend, there is something you can do to help in one of our schools, foster homes or residential centers.
We also have volunteer opportunities for administrative office support including scanning, filing, data entry, and research.
Collect School Supplies
The UMFS Charterhouse School provides specialized therapeutic education for children struggling with emotional, behavioral, or developmental challenges or autism and other neurological differences.
We are currently collecting school supplies to stock our classrooms in both Richmond and Edinburg for the new school year. Official drop-off times are as follows:
- Richmond (3900 W. Broad St) – Thursday August 23, 4:00 – 6:00pm. Please drop off supplies at Walker House.
- Richmond (3900 W. Broad St) – Wednesday August 29, 10:00am – 2:00pm. Please drop off supplies at the Charterhouse School main office.
- Edinburg (508 Piccadilly St) – Tuesday August 21, 10:00 am – 2:00pm.
- Edinburg (508 Piccadilly St) – Wednesday August 29, 10:00am – 2:00pm.
The school supplies wish list is detailed below. Please contact Kate Ockerman with any questions, 804.239.1039, email@example.com. We appreciate your support!
- Box of 12 washable markers
- Box of permanent Sharpie markers
- Box of 6 dry erase markers
- Packet of 6 high lighters
- Box of #2 pencils
- Box of 12 color pencils
- Box of ballpoint pens
- 12″ rulers
- Box of staples
- Post-it notes
- Composition notebooks
- Loose leaf paper
- Folders with twin pockets & fasteners
- Glue sticks
- White-out correction tape
- Small 9″ x 12″ white boards
- Poster board
- Velcro dots or strips
- Masking tape
- Scotch tape
- Extra strength duct tape
- Board games (for kids aged 5 – 16)
- Building toys (legos, K’nex)
- Ziploc bags
- Box of tissues
- Roll of paper towels
- Hand sanitizer (average size)
- Clorox disinfecting wipes
For your convenience, we have also created a shopping list for each school on Amazon. Items can be shipped to the addresses listed below. Thank you for your support!
Attn: Cherie Seise
3900 W. Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230
Attn: Regan Laughlin
508 Piccadilly St
Edinburg, VA 22824
Are you already a volunteer with us? Use your volunteer code to watch the orientation and training video below. Questions? Contact Lisa Nicoll firstname.lastname@example.org 804.239.1038.