Coronavirus (COVID-19) Volunteer Update
The well-being and safety of our volunteers, supporters, partner agencies, staff, and the children and families we serve is our utmost concern. At this time, we are suspending our agency volunteer activities until further notice, including orienting and on-boarding new volunteers. There are several ways you can support UMFS during this time:
- Amazon Wish List – We have created an Amazon wish list to provide fun games and activities for the children and youth at UMFS. CLICK HERE to start shopping. Due to health and safety concerns, we ask that you ship the items directly to us through Amazon. Please do not drop items off in person during this time.
- Send Cards of Encouragement – Our therapists, youth counselors, and social workers are on the front lines during this crisis. They are working tirelessly to nurture, support, and care for children struggling with trauma in residential or foster care. You can brighten their day by sending them a card of encouragement. CLICK HERE to learn more and sign up.
- Food Gift Cards – Donate $25 or $50 gift cards to Wal-Mart, Target, or Kroger that can be used by our staff and our foster parents to buy food and necessities for the children in their care. Due to health and safety concerns, we ask that you mail them to: UMFS, Attn: Kate Ockerman, 3900 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23230. Please do not drop off gift cards in person during this time. Contact Kate with any questions at email@example.com.
- Join the Waiting List – If you would like to be placed on our volunteer waiting list, please CLICK HERE to fill out the volunteer form. We will contact you when it is safe to resume volunteer activity. We know the dedication and passion of our community is strong and look forward to having you volunteer with us in the near future.
If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Volunteer Manager, Lisa Nicoll, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Opportunities and Requirements
Beginning Your Volunteer Journey at UMFS
Many volunteer opportunities involve working directly with the children and teens we serve, including mentoring, tutoring, and providing child care for foster families during their monthly support groups. We also have volunteer opportunities for administrative office support, event support, and service projects.
To ensure the safety of the children and teens we serve, and in compliance with Virginia state law, criminal background checks are required for all UMFS volunteers in Richmond, at Leland House in Centreville, and for most volunteer roles in our regional offices.
Background check details:
- UMFS will cover the background check fee and provide the forms and steps you need to complete it.
- Background checks typically take 4 – 6 weeks, and need to be completed prior to beginning your service.
- All background check information is confidential.
- Information returned in a background check does not necessarily disqualify you from volunteering. Contact Volunteer Manager Lisa Nicoll (email@example.com or 804.239.1038) if you have questions.
UMFS Volunteer Opportunities
(Please note that not all opportunities are available at all locations; click the Volunteer Form button for more details on the opportunities available at each UMFS location.)
- Transport Mentor
- Child Care
- Office Helper
- Gifts-in-Kind Volunteer
- Event Helper
Are you already a volunteer with us? Use your volunteer code to watch the orientation and training video below. Questions? Contact Lisa Nicoll (firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.239.1038).