Coronavirus (COVID-19) Volunteer Update
The well-being and safety of our volunteers, supporters, partner agencies, staff, and the children and families we serve is our utmost concern. We have therefore suspended our agency volunteer activities until further notice, including orienting and on-boarding new volunteers. There are several ways you can support UMFS during this time:
- Amazon Wish List
* Child & Family Healing Center in Richmond – CLICK HERE to shop for games and activities for the children.
* Leland House in Fairfax – CLICK HERE to shop for games and activities for the children.
* Charterhouse School in Richmond – CLICK HERE to shop for school supplies.
* Charterhouse School in Edinburg – CLICK HERE to shop for school supplies.Please note that Amazon does not always tell us who sent each item to us. Please contact Kate Ockerman at email@example.com to let us know when you make a purchase. Don’t forget about Amazon Smile while you’re shopping. Amazon will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to UMFS if you log in at smile.amazon.com and search for UMFS. Due to health and safety concerns, we ask that you ship the items directly to us through Amazon. Please do not drop items off in person during this time.
- Food Gift Cards – Donate $25 or $50 gift cards to Walmart, Target, or Kroger that can be used by our staff and our foster parents to buy food and necessities for the children in their care. Due to health and safety concerns, we ask that you mail them to: UMFS, Attn: Kate Ockerman, 3900 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23230. Please do not drop off gift cards in person during this time. Contact Kate with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the Waiting List – If you would like to be placed on our volunteer waiting list, please CLICK HERE to fill out the volunteer form. We will contact you when it is safe to resume volunteer activity. We know the dedication and passion of our community is strong and look forward to having you volunteer with us in the near future.
If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Volunteer Manager, Lisa Nicoll, at email@example.com.
Volunteer Opportunities and Requirements
Beginning Your Volunteer Journey at UMFS
Many volunteer opportunities involve working directly with the children and teens we serve, including mentoring, tutoring, and providing child care for foster families during their monthly support groups. We also have volunteer opportunities for administrative office support, event support, and service projects.
To ensure the safety of the children and teens we serve, and in compliance with Virginia state law, criminal background checks are required for all UMFS volunteers in Richmond, at Leland House in Centreville, and for most volunteer roles in our regional offices.
Background check details:
- UMFS will cover the background check fee and provide the forms and steps you need to complete it.
- Background checks typically take 4 – 6 weeks, and need to be completed prior to beginning your service.
- All background check information is confidential.
- Information returned in a background check does not necessarily disqualify you from volunteering. Contact Volunteer Manager Lisa Nicoll (firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.239.1038) if you have questions.
UMFS Volunteer Opportunities
(Please note that not all opportunities are available at all locations; click the Volunteer Form button for more details on the opportunities available at each UMFS location.)
- Transport Mentor
- Child Care
- Office Helper
- Gifts-in-Kind Volunteer
- Event Helper
Are you already a volunteer with us? Use your volunteer code to watch the orientation and training video below. Questions? Contact Lisa Nicoll (email@example.com or 804.239.1038).