Why Join UMFS?
Do you have a passion for working with high-risk children and families? Do you want to intern with an agency that values your contribution? We want to meet you! At UMFS, our passion is helping children, families, and communities grow and shine. During your internship with UMFS, you can expect the following:
- Supportive Team Environment: We are uniquely dedicated, charismatic, and innovative at every level of the organization and embrace the challenges that build strong teams and a talented workforce.
- Diversity: We appreciate staff from all backgrounds because it takes a village to overcome the toughest odds and help create bright futures for high-risk children and families.
- Relationships Are Important: They’re in our DNA. We value building strong relationships with staff, donors, volunteers, stakeholders and community partners.
- Most Importantly, Make An Impact: Having success and seeing the results of empowering kids and families facing challenging circumstances is the greatest reward.
Interested? Apply for an internship today!
UMFS provides a limited number of unpaid internships for students of approved, accredited colleges and universities.
UMFS internship sites are in Richmond, Northern Virginia (Alexandria or Centreville), Tidewater (Norfolk), Edinburg, South Hill, Farmville, and Lynchburg.
Applications must be completed online so that we can determine if we have an appropriate match.
Key Application Process Dates
|Semester Placement||Applications Accepted||Deadline for Applications||Interviews Held||Internships Start|
|Fall||January – March||March 30th||April – May||Late August|
|Spring||August – October||October 30th||November – December||Early January|
|Summer||January – March||March 30th||April – May||Early June|
Candidate applications will be reviewed carefully for possible placement. Students will be notified if they are selected for an interview. Applications will only be accepted via the website.
If you are selected for an internship, the following will be required:
- Background checks and drug screen must be completed and successfully passed before the internship can begin. The applicant is responsible for picking up and completing the required paperwork. The agency will pay for background checks & drug screens.
- If the position requires driving, candidate must be at least 21 years of age and supply proof of valid driver’s license, insurance and a driving record of better than -5 points.
- On the first day of the internship, the intern must complete and sign off on all required agency trainings, agency regulations, and confidentiality regulations for all client information and records.
- Once the candidate begins the internship, additional agency trainings must be completed within 21 days.